Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I'm just here at work and dreaming of not being at work. I really want to be playing some slide right now.
I'm an extremely amateur musician. I have been so for over 35 years. I have a small collection of guitars.

My guitar collection consists of the following.
  • Yamaha FG-160 Six String Acoustic purchased July 1976 from Manny's Music in NYC.
  • Gibson Les Paul Bass, late sixties with Brass Leo Quan Badass Bridge. Purchased in 1977 privately for my brother Paul who is deceased. I hold on to it for the memory. I'm not a bass player.
  • Gibson SG, late '60s early '70s with dual P-90 Single Coil Pickups, Tailpiece removed and bridge replaced with a chrome Leo Quan Badass wraparound. Purchased used in 1978 from Alex's Guitars on 48th Street in NYC.
  • Taylor 110, purchased in 2004 from Sam Ash in Carle Place, NY.
  • Gretsch Six String Lap Steel received as a gift from my wife in 2007.
I barely play anymore, and I regret that. I don't understand why either. I always felt it was such a part of me, but now it just seems to be a memory. I haven't picked up a guitar since about August of the past year.
But here I am sitting at work, and I'm itching to pull the tone bar over the lap steel plugged in to a delay and some mild distortion on the signal.  And I'm not getting home for so long today.  And once I get there, there are things that are just going to get in my way.  So I can rest assured, I won't be scratching this itch anytime today.  Maybe tomorrow.

I have Pandora shuffling Blues stations, and my mouth waters for a feeling that I haven't captured for such a long, long time.  A faded memory of better times.  The chill that ran up my spine the first time I felt a guitar feedback in my hands.  That aching feeling from acclimating your fingertips to guitar strings (a feeling I get whenever I do get to play due to my lack of playing).  The smell of the guitar case opening.  The old Budweiser label sitting in the accessories compartment of my SG case.  The excitement carrying my recently purchased guitar on the subway back to Queens.  Warm summer nights slightly toasted playing on the stoop.  I guess it is a longing for the relative lack of responsibility of youth.  A nostalgia for my youth.  A deep unvoiced prayer for re-invigoration 

Or am I just sick of the damned cold and want this spring to start jumping, and playing is my way of celebrating spring's arrival.

Must be, I feel this way every spring as far back as I remember in to my adolescence, the desire to play more guitar at this time of year.


No comments: